Monday, March 12, 2012

Blake

When a friend or family member passes, I think it's only natural that we start soul searching. We wonder what we could've done to make it different or to have changed the outcome. We start looking at ourselves and think about the things we need to change. The thing that had pressed my mind so much is time. I knew Blake several years ago, when I was in high school. My parents knew his parents, and I was asked by his mom if I could help his sister, Brooke with her drivers ed. A crafty plan, was hatched between our mothers to let Brooke and I meet and probably with the hopes we'd take a liking towards one another.
     I met Blake, and he was FEARLESS. This kid was funny, he was up for anything and he never asked for attention; he commanded it. Blake was a few years younger than me, so I should have found him annoying, but he was not. He was cool. My parents had difficulties keeping the utilities in at our house, so I spent a number of nights and weekends between 1992-1994 at the Beasley's house. Brooke never took the liking to me that our mothers had hoped, so when I was there, I hung out with Blake. We would play video games and watch wrestling on Saturday nights. We would make fun of some of the silly character names and laugh till it hurt. During the hot summer days, we'd be in the pool until we were wilted. Blake would do insane jumps into the pool and I just knew he was gonna hit the bottom and get hurt, but he never did.
            One September, I had the pleasure of going to mermac river and camping out with Blake and his parents. The first night, it poured down and rained all thru our tent. I was mad, cuz I woke up drenched, Blake just laughed and his infectious laugh took away the frustration of the moment. Blake was like a little brother. When I would stay at his house, we'd make food runs, and Blake always rode along. I was always saying the word "woosh" for some reason, so Blake dubbed me "woosh man". Senior year came and life got hectic and I lost touch with who were my surrogate family. I hadn't seen or heard of Blake(oddly we lived only 10 minutes from each other) in years.
              I recently found Blake, Brooke and Kris Beasley on facebook and became "friends" with them. It was basically a long awaited reconnection. I hadn't heard from Blake tho, in a while, and last week, heard of his untimely passing. The news brought great sadness and memories flooding back of a great time in my life, when I had a little brother and friend. Like everyone else, I wish I hadnt lost contact and that I could have known the great man that he had become.
     Yesterday, I spent a couple hours at his house reminiscing with his parents. It was like old times, minus 1..my dear friend Blake. I was asked by the family to put together 2 CDs worth of music for the memorial, and I gladly accepted. It was the very least I could do. I only hope that the song selection honors him in the way intended and that he'll be looking down with approval. A sadness is in my heart for not having been around to see him graduate, and get engaged, but I am forever honored to have known him for the time we were close.
    Many people come into your life and u will remember some, and forget others. Them there are people like Blake. Like in his childhood, Blake isn't asking to be unforgettable, he commands it! I'll miss u Blake but one day I know I'll see u again.

Till then...thanks for the pleasure of knowing u and calling u friend.

Chris

1 comment:

  1. wow Chris...very very wonderful work! You'll definitely see Blake again one day. I put up another post this evening as well! Look forward to seeing much more of your work!

    ReplyDelete