Sunday, May 6, 2012

A Family BBQ

Today was one of the best days i've had in weeks.  It was a stress free day and it was spent with family.  I got to spend the day with my younger brother, Curt, his wife Vikki and their friends, Jeff & Hana.  It was great to visit and catch up, and get to know these members of my family that i have only recently been in touch with and have had the pleasure of getting to know.  I met Curt about 8 years ago, thru my Uncle Jim.  Jim had told me the story of the date that my mom had with Curt's dad way back in 1975.  Donald Troutman had asked my uncle Jim if he could take my mom to a movie.  Jim said it was her decision, and apparently her decision was yes.  They went to a drive in and well things progressed and 9 months later, Christopher David Troutman was born.  The things is, Donald was also in an off again on again relationship with his then soon to be wife, and he never knew about me.  I never knew about him, either as my mom didn't offer up a story and my uncles were sworn to secracy.  I was always told my dad was a guy who moved as far away across the country as he could get to be away from me because he didn't believe i was his.  **guess he was right** My mom met my dad, Charles Lee Arnel when i was 1 or 2 and soon they were married and when i was 7 i was adopted by him.  Charles has always been my dad and i never went without knowing i had a dad, and i always knew he loved me, and i wasn't deprived of that relationship.  Fast Forward to 8 years ago, my uncle Jim told me the story and set up a meeting between Curt and myself.  I was so nervous as i waited in the restraunt for him to arrive.  Once he walked in there was no doubt that we were siblings.  Curt, a little shorter than me, had the same face, same head, same build. It was like looking into a fun house mirror.  Curt and i hit it off, and hung out a few times, but then lost touch as life happened.  Couple months ago, i found Curt on facebook and we started talking again.  It felt awesome to know that my brother wanted a relationship with me too, and we began trying to find time to hang out.  I met his wife Vikki when Curt came to my house to look at my car and he introduced me as his brother.  That was a proud moment in my life, that even though we haven't been close he still considered me, as i considered him, a brother.  Couple weekends ago, Curt put a stereo in my new truck for me, so we got to spend a couple hours hanging out.  Today i was over there pretty much the entire day and into the evening for a bbq and swimming.  It was awesome to be around my family and to be treated as though they really wanted me there.  my son, Chase was with me, and they really seemed to enjoy him as well. Curt's wife,Vikki got a lesson on all things Transformers and Star Wars from my 6 year old, and let Chase help her finish dessert.  i am looking forward to the future of getting to know Curt and Vikki better and hanging out more.  I also look forward to getting to know a little more about Donald Troutman.  I met his widow when Curt did my stereo, and she seemed like a lovely person, and i also look forward to getting to know her.  With so much turmoil and questioning going on in my life, i feel like for once i am not alone.  I feel like things, no matter which way they go, will be okay.  Thanks to Curt, Vikki, Jeff & Hana for a great day!!

Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment